Friday, June 2, 2017

THOUGHTS ON AGING

Recently I have decided to change my emphasis from teaching yoga as my main profession to sharing my actions by encouraging whomever is interested, and particularly, the baby boomers, to embrace the journey of aging. This has come about by having many people approach me to tell me that I am an inspiration for them. True, most are dedicated yoga practitioners who know how important taking care of our physical and mental health is.

Aging is inevitable, but getting older is a mind-set.

So the question is, how do we reap the benefits of a long life without suffering the consequences of an aging body?

Now, I know you are saying that's easier said than done. Especially when you look in the mirror and see sagging, wrinkled skin, dark spots and diminished muscle mass. Harder still when you feel the aches and pains that seem to pop up out of nowhere.

But here's the good news. No matter how old you are, or how sedentary you've been, it's never too late to amend it. You will have to dedicate yourself to working hard and daily to regain what you have lost.

In my case, at 83 and after several physical injuries, I am better and stronger than I was 40 years ago.
My passion has been Iyengar yoga and with 36 years of long, uninterrupted practice and study, it has changed my posture, my flexibility, my strength and my outlook. Sure, it's true that I cannot do some of the things I could 10 years ago, but my body is strong and mostly pain free, And, even more important, my mind is calm, content, happy and still sharp,

Below is a list of what I have compiled to be of importance. If I have left out something, please feel free to add it to your list.

#  1 - Attitude is everything. 
    2 - Let go of things, thoughts, even people that keep you in the past or clutter up your space
          and mind.
     3 - Live in the moment. It is the only one you have now.
     4 - Forgive yourself so that you can love yourself.
     5 - Be grateful for all you can still do.
     6 - The glass is always full. It only changes shape. Sometimes it is large and sometimes it is                     small. You are 100% alive until you are 100% dead.
     7 - Do what you love to do. Stop doing what does not fulfill you.
     8 - Forgive those you have issues with. Find the good in them.
     9 - Leave the rest of this life having done the things that have enriched others and you.
   10 - Never stop learning, sharing, seeking. 

If you are sick and tired of feeling sick and tired, and if you are ready to change your life, get in touch with me and let's get you back on a road to a healthy and peaceful life.

denabg134@gmail.com


     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment